May 14, 2017
Call to worship
The risen Christ SS 101
Spirit, working in creation SJ 10
Loving Spirit SJ 34
When we are tempted SS 81
Offering and Coin offering
Peace before us SS 16
Coin offering to help send kids to camp through House of Friendship, Kitchener.
Leading Us In Worship
Prelude, offertory, postlude – Sing The Journey
Worship leader – Janessa Otto
Pianist – Susan Seyler
Song leader – Sara Roth
Children’s time – Wendy Lebold
Sermon – Pastor Steve Drudge
Congregational prayer – Mark Scheerer
Coffee, tea and juice will be served in the north side of the fellowship hall following the service.
Christian Education for all ages.
11:00-12:00 – Jesus rescued us. Luke 24:1-34.
Age 2 & 3 – room 005, lower level
Junior & Senior Kindergarten – room 008
Grades 1-5 – meet in the lower level
Grade 6-8 – room 004
Youth (high school) – upper gym room. Luke 23:26-56.
Adults – “Expanding Missional Boundaries” from the book
“Re-Imagining the Church” by Robert J Suderman. Led by Janessa
Otto. Meeting in the south side of the Fellowship Hall.
Monday (church office closed)
8:00 a.m.-8:15 a.m. – Prayer time in room 115. All welcome.
9:30-11:00 a.m. – Toddler Time! Come join us for some free play time in the gym. Bring your friends! For more info talk to Ashley Drudge.
7:00 p.m. – Vision Focus Team meeting in room 114.
9:35 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Acts of the Holy Spirit. Scripture: Acts 17:16-34.
Sermon: Pastor Ilene Bergen
11:00 a.m. – Christian education for all ages.
May 17 (Wed.) 7:30 p.m. – Email email@example.com for info.
May 18 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Meeting by the church library. Studying the book of Ephesians. For more info call Wes Leis.
Small group is meeting and studying a variety of topics. For more information contact Darryl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NEW HAMBURG MENNONITE RELIEF SALE
May 26 & 27 (www.nhmrs.com)
Volunteers needed Saturday May 27th to sell Summer Sausage. Talk to Gord Roth or give him a call.
Bring rhubarb to the Rhubarb Tent for resale.
Plant Tent is looking for donations of plants, labelled with name and colour if it has a bloom. See website.
Bring yeast baking (with name and contact info) to our Yeast Baking venue. Contact Darlene at email@example.com for more information.
Saturday 8:00 a.m. – 10th Annual Run for Relief. Includes a 5k Run and a 2k Run/Walk. Register for the race at nhmrs.com/run-for-relief.
May 22 (Mon.) 5-8 p.m. – Blood Donor Clinic in the fellowship hall.
May 18 (Thurs.) 7:30 a.m.—All are welcome to attend the next MEDA breakfast at the Stone Crock in St. Jacobs. We will be joined by Doug and Jodie Hatlem, who are co-pastors together at Erb Street Mennonite Church. Previously, Doug was a street pastor in Toronto.
June 1 (Thurs.) 6:30-9 p.m. – Interfaith Counselling Ladies Night Out fundraiser in the fellowship hall – snacks, venders, door prizes and entertainment by Theatre on the Edge. Tickets: $20. Call 519.662.3092.
June 3 (Sat.) 8:30 a.m. – Church Spring Cleaning-Rescheduled. Your participation in keeping the church buildings and grounds in good shape is appreciated. If you have some hoes and rakes please bring them along.
June 4 (Sun.) 1-4 p.m. – Prayer in Victoria Park. Information at prayerinthepark.ca.
June 16 (Fri.) 7:30 p.m. – Theatre of the Beat drama troupe along with musical group “No Discernible Key” will be presenting Yellow Bellies, a historical drama that highlights the experience and response to Mennonite Conscientious Objectors during WW II. Drama takes place in the fellowship hall. Join for a thought –provoking theatre experience like no other. Admission is free. More info www.theatreofthebeat.com.
June 24 (Sat.) – Road Hockey Challenge at Crosshill Mennonite Church. Divisions: Novice to Bantam. Cost: $100/team (register by June 3), lunch included (max 5 players/team). Proceeds to Habitat for Humanity, Wellesley Build. Contact Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 30-July 2 – Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp Family Camping weekend. Details at www.hiddenacres.ca. Brochures are on the table by the church mailboxes.
1. Traditioned Innovation – you are invited to participate! The Structural Review Adhoc Committee is requesting your input on reviewing the current structure of Steinmann Mennonite Church. A paper was placed in your Church mailbox with 10 questions on it, plus an insert in your bulletin with some of the same questions. Please take some time to discern your answers. EVERYONE’s voice is important and will be valued. Please have your answers completed and returned by May 21st. You can use the bulletin inserts or the paper in your mailbox. There will also be an electronic option if you prefer. Your responses can be placed in the CHURCH OFFICE mailbox or the envelopes in the main hallway posted on the wall weekly or all at once! Feel free to use the tables in the library area after the morning services to complete. In advance – Thank you for your time and thoughtfulness. Questions or concerns: contact Gladys Bender.
2. MCEC has completed a Congregational Assessment Tool that is now available for use by our congregation. It is an online survey that is completely voluntary for members of our congregation. Survey results are anonymous, and will be used by the Vision Focus Team to aid in the Structural Review Process as well as future planning initiatives. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Brandon Gingerich, Kim Lichti or a pastor. To access the survey please see the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/Steinman2017. Paper copies are on the table by the mailboxes. Completed copies to be placed in the Church Office mailbox.
3. New Outdoor Garden Project on the east side of the church. We are still looking for some donations of plants and small tools. If you are interested in staying up to date or helping out with this project please add your name and email to the sign up sheet in the lobby. Thanks you for your support!
4. Summer Camp Staff Needed – Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp is looking to round out our summer camp staff team with people who are looking for a fun, challenging and growth-filled summer. We are accepting applications for our LIT Leader, Boys Cabin Leader, and Boys Inclusion Cabin Leader positions. For more information on the roles go to www.hiddenacres.ca or contact Chris Pot at email@example.com or 519-625-8602
5. CHECK-MATE! This fall we plan to start up a community Chess Club that will give children & youth in our community the chance to learn and play the great game of Chess! We are looking for adults who would be willing to come out and help teach and play with the kids! If interested call Jen Vandermolen at 519.569.0585 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Congratulations to Vernetta Steinman who is celebrating her 86th birthday tomorrow, May 15 and to Betty Roth who is celebrating her 86th birthday on Tuesday, May 16.
• Church office admin., Darlene Gingerich, will be on vacation until May 20th. Please send all bulletin announcements for May 21 to Wendy Wagler at email@example.com.
• Learn how Witness worker Gregory Rabus helped a Syrian refugee in Germany obtain a prosthetic limb – and be inspired by Amjad’s faith. http://news.mennonitechurch.ca/prosthetic-limb-leads-new-hope
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Pray for the thousands of Mennonites in Democratic Republic of Congo who have gone into hiding to escape the violence that has claimed hundreds of lives. Pray that God would provide life’s necessities for those who have fled their homes, for stable national leadership, and for an end to the fighting.
• Pray for our Mennonite camps as they invite staff to serve during the summer camping season.