May 28, 2017
Call to worship
Here in this place HWB 6:1,2,4
All praise to our redeeming Lord HWB 21
O sing to the Lord SJ 12
Don’t be afraid SJ 105
Sermon: New Wineskins
Listen God is calling SJ 42
New earth, heavens new HWB 299
A supervised nursery for children (5 years & under) is across from the washrooms. Today’s supervisors: Makayla Roth, Paulette West.
Leading Us In Worship
Prelude, offertory, postlude – Al & Dawn Mills
Worship leader – Karl Bergen
Accompanists – Delphine Schwartzentruber, Susan Seyler
Song leader – Norma Iutzi
Children’s story – Rick Brenneman
Sermon – Betty Pries
Congregational prayer – Pastor Ilene Bergen
We welcome Betty Pries this morning. She is a mediator, coach and consultant and is currently thinking deeply about conflict transformation and spiritual formation.
Coffee, tea and juice will be served in the north side of the fellowship hall following the service.
Christian Education for all ages.
11:00-12:00 – When Jesus returned to heaven, the story didn’t end.
Age 2 & 3 – room 005, lower level
Junior & Senior Kindergarten – room 008
Grades 1-5 – meet in the lower level
Grade 6-8 – room 004
Youth (high school) – Exploring our faith.
Adults – Top Ten Characteristics of Thriving Congregations led by Betty Pries. Meeting in the south side of the Fellowship Hall.
4:00 p.m. – Structural Review Ad Hoc Committee meets.
Monday (church office closed)
6:00 p.m. – Care Team meets.
8:00 a.m.-8:15 a.m. – Prayer time in room 115. All welcome.
4:00 – 7:00 p.m. – Wilmot Summer Market in the church parking lot.
6:30-9 p.m. – Interfaith Counselling Ladies Night Out fundraiser in the fellowship hall – snacks, venders, door prizes, entertainment by Theatre on the Edge. Tickets: Sandra Roth ($20) or call 519.634.8745.
8:30 a.m. – Rain or shine church Spring Cleaning. Your participation in keeping the church buildings and grounds in good shape is appreciated. If you have some hoes and rakes please bring them along.
NEXT SUNDAY (Pentecost)
9:35 a.m. – Preservice music. Meeting in the fellowship hall.
9:45 a.m. – Scripture: Acts 2:1-8, 10:34-48.
Sermon: Acts of (and not of) the Holy Spirit.
Speaker: Pastor Steve Drudge.
11:00 a.m. – Jr. Sunday School.
– Congregational meeting to discuss summary of Structure Review responses as well as the slate of ministry teams beginning Sept. 2017 presented by Gifts Discernment Committee.
2:30 p.m. – Gospel Bluegrass program by a Wellesley family at the Detweiler Meeting House, 3445 Roseville Road, Roseville. Freewill offering. More information: Laurence Martin, 519.208.4591.
Prayer in Victoria Park. Information at prayerinthepark.ca.
May 31 (Wed.) 7:30 p.m. – Meeting at Karen Lebold’s. Studying the Seventh Sunday after Easter. Email email@example.com for info.
June 1 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Meeting by the church library. Studying the book of Ephesians. For more info call Wes Leis.
Small group is meeting and studying a variety of topics. For more information contact Darryl at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHURCH LEAGUE FASTBALL
May 28 (Today) 7 p.m. – Steinmann vs. Shantz; Petersburg
May 31 (Wed.) 9 p.m. – Steinmann vs. East Zorra; Tavistock Optimist
June 5 (Mon.) 9 p.m. – Steinmann vs. East Zorra; New Hamburg (2)
June 6 (Tues.) 6:30 p.m. – Lebold Fundraising Dinner at Conrad Grebel University College. Purchase your tickets by May 30th, $50 (includes a $25 tax receipt). Visit MCEC website for more information.
June 7 (Wed.) Morning & Afternoon – All women are invited to the church to knot comforters and/or quilt. Bring food to share for the potluck lunch.
June 8 (Thurs.) 6:45 p.m. – Rockway’s Spring Concert of vocal and orchestral music. No tickets required.
June 11 – Sunday school field trip to MCC to pack hygiene kits and knot comforters. Everyone welcome. All children welcome to attend with their parents/guardians. Please sign up on sheet in lobby. Sign-up will close June 4th.
June 13 (Tues.) 5:00-7:30 p.m. – Annual Chicken BBQ in support of Hidden Acres Camp. Tickets will be available today in the main hallway.
June 16 (Fri.) 7:30 p.m. – Theatre of the Beat drama troupe along with musical group “No Discernible Key” will be presenting Yellow Bellies, a historical drama that highlights the experience and response to Mennonite Conscientious Objectors during WW II. Drama takes place in the fellowship hall. Join for a thought provoking theatre experience like no other. Admission is free. More info www.theatreofthebeat.com.
June 17 (Sat.) 9:00 a.m. – Out-Spok’n Bike-A-Thon, benefiting affordable housing. For information or to donate: mennohomes.com.
June 17 (Sat.) 1:00 p.m. – Mennonite Historical Society of Ontario Annual General Meeting at Floradale Mennonite Church.
June 24 (Sat.) – Road Hockey Challenge at Crosshill Mennonite Church. Divisions: Novice to Bantam. Cost: $100/team (register by June 3), lunch included (max 5 players/team). Proceeds to Habitat for Humanity, Wellesley Build. Contact Mike at email@example.com.
June 24 (Sat.) 2-4 & 6:30-8 p.m. – Annual Nithview Community Strawberry Social. Bring your family and friends to enjoy this spring treat!
June 30 – July 2 – Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp Family Camping weekend. Details at www.hiddenacres.ca. Brochures are on the table by the church mailboxes.
Aug. 4-6 (Fri.-Sun.) – Steinmann Church Camping & Service at Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp.
Aug. 14-18 (Mon.-Fri.) 8:50-11:30 a.m. – Baden Summer Bible Camp for age 4 to grade 8.
1. Mennonite Disaster Service response to May flooding in ON & QC. Day volunteers needed, for cleanup and gutting at Minden, ON this coming week. Please contact: Nick Hamm 905.401.3990 (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Martin Durksen 905.736.1060 (email@example.com) or speak with Keith Wagler or Pastor Steve.
2. Peace Camp 2017 at Conrad Grebel University College July 31-August 4 for students in grades 6-8. A week-long day camp that teaches youth they can make a difference in the world. This year we will ask, “Where can we find peace?” searching locally, globally, and in our own lives. Register online at www.grebel.ca/peacecamp. For more information contact Coordinator Allison Keyes at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. The Inter-Mennonite Children’s Choir offers a chance for children ages 6-14 to have an excellent music education experience while singing with their friends. Learn music from varying eras, proper voice techniques, and grow in self-confidence and performance skills. Register for Fall 2017 at www.mennosingers.com/imcc (under Join the Choir) or email email@example.com for more information.
4. Mennonite Central Committee will be turning 100 in 2020 and hopes to bring together a small group of supporters to lead their birthday celebration. Contact Sheryl Bruggeling at 519.745.8458 ext 265 or firstname.lastname@example.org to join the planning committee.
• Congratulations to Eileen Bender who will be celebrating her 81st birthday on Tuesday, May 30.
• A BIG thank you to all of the people who sent in their response sheets to the Structure Review ad hoc Committee. It is gratifying to see the interest in the future of our congregation. The committee is meeting today to begin summarizing all of the comments. Next Sunday, June 4, during Christian Education time, we plan to present a summary and invite more discussion. You won’t want to miss this important time in the life of SMC.
• Thank you to all who serve in the ministries of this congregation. Please find a draft Slate of Ministry Teams in church mailboxes today. New and renewed appointments will be ratified in the meeting during Christian Education time next Sunday. Please make further nominations or volunteer by contacting a Gifts Discernment Team member today or this week. – Mark Erb, Karen Lebold, Doug Schwartzentruber, Pastor Steve.
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• The Structure Review ad hoc Committee as they summarize responses they have received.
• Pastor Myrna who had ear surgery this past Thursday, May 25. She anticipates being out of the office for two weeks.