August 20, 2017
A Summer of Living More Like Jesus
Call to worship
O come, loud anthems let us sing HWB 68
Guide me, O thou great Jehovah HWB 582
Psalm 105: 1-11
O sing to the Lord SJ 12
Praise, I will praise you, Lord HWB 76
Guide my feet HWB 546
Leading Us In Worship:
Pre Service, offertory – Al & Dawn Mills
Worship leader – Rick Brenneman
Song leader – Norma Iutzi
Accompanists – Jean Gingerich, Delphine Schwartzentruber
Children’s time – Sue Kennel
Sermon – Amanda Zehr
Congregational prayer – Pastor Ilene Bergen
Our speaker, Amanda Zehr, has spent several years working in pastoral ministry in Mennonite churches around southwestern Ontario, but has a special place in her heart for her home church, Zurich Mennonite Church.
An unsupervised nursery for children (5 years & under) is across from the washrooms.
Coffee, tea and juice served in the fellowship hall after the service.
5-8 p.m. – Sunday S’mores at Chris & Wendy Lebold’s, 1053 Henry St., Wellesley. Bring your own dishes, hotdogs and buns, lawn chairs, and snacks to share. Care Team will provide beverages and s’mores. Maps are on the table by the church mailboxes.
Monday – Church office closed.
8:00 a.m.-8:15 a.m. – Prayer time in room 115. All welcome.
8:00 a.m. – Conrad Grebel needs people to unload furniture. Pay: $12.25/hr. lunch provided. Requirements: lift 20 kg/40 lbs, provide your own steel-toed safety footwear. Min. age is 16. Email firstname.lastname@example.org
4:00-7:00 p.m. – Wilmot Summer Market in the east church parking lot.
7:00 p.m. – SOSA (Single or Single Again) corn & wiener roast at 307 Maurice St. New Hamburg. Please bring a lawn chair and a food item to share. Questions – call 519.662.2971.
9:30 a.m. – Pre service singing
9:45 a.m. – Scripture: Matthew 14:22-33.
Sermon: Walking on Water!
Speaker: Pastor Ilene Bergen.
Aug. 23 (Wed.) 5:30 p.m. – Potluck at Sir Adam Beck Park, Baden. Everyone welcome! Bring your own dishes and food to share. Invite neighbours, friends and family. More info – Ashley & Darryl Drudge.
CHURCH LEAGUE FASTBALL PLAYOFFS
Aug. 20 (Today) 7 p.m. – Steinmann vs. East Zorra at Petersburg
Aug. 23 (Wed.) 9 p.m. – Steinmann vs. East Zorra at Tavistock Optimist
Aug. 28 (Mon.) 5-8 p.m. – Blood Donor Clinic in the fellowship hall.
Sept. 10 (Sun.) 2:00-4:00 p.m. – Reception for the Maarrawi and the Al Lababidi families in the church fellowship hall. Our friends from Stonecroft and Foxboro will be joining us in extending our support to these families as they celebrate their new home in Canada. This is your opportunity to share your best wishes and encouragement. Refreshments will be provided. Please be sure to join us.
Sept. 12 (Tues.) 6:00 p.m. – Introductory supper & meeting for a Women’s Small Group. Meet in the fellowship hall. Soup provided. Bring finger food. For more info talk to Joy Wagler or Darlene Gingerich.
Sept. 17 (Sun.) Noon – Church Potluck. If your last name begins with A-M bring a dessert and N-Z bring a salad along with your own dishes. Meat will be provided.
1. Christian Horizons is looking for volunteers for its Family Retreat at Elim Lodge on Pigeon Lake from Aug. 27 to Sept. 2, or for just the evening of Wednesday Aug. 30th. To explore this service opportunity, visit www.christian-horizons.org or speak with Al Mills.
2. House of Friendship’s Charles St. Men’s Shelter is recruiting social and administrative volunteers for the fall who can commit to a 2-4 hour shift once a week for six months (during the week or weekend). email@example.com or call 519.742.8327 x. 136.
• Congratulations to the following who are celebrating birthdays (80+)this week:
Verna Schwartzentruber who will be 92 tomorrow, August 21st Ruth Steinmann who will be 83 on Wednesday, August 23rd Robert Iutzi who will be 80 on Thursday, August 24th
• Thank you for all of your prayers and support for Lynn Yantzi and his family over the last couple of months. We so appreciate all the meals, cards, and kind words we’ve received. Lynn is continuing to recover at home and is gaining strength. He will begin outpatient rehabilitation next week at Freeport. Please keep him in your prayers.
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Riverdale Mennonite Church as they hold their closing service.
• Mennonite Central Committee Ontario’s Board of Directors as they begin the search for an Executive Director.
• The community of Pikangikum First Nation, known as the suicide capital of the world, has just lost 5 young people to suicide within one month. Pray for the youth, the families, and the front-line workers and Crisis Teams.