February 4, 2018
Proverbs 3:5-7, 21-22a
Call to worship
Lord, I need you
Matthew 5:9, 43-48
Blest are they SJ 94
I’ve got peace like a river
Now go in peace SJ 74
Leading Us In Worship:
Preservice, offertory, postlude – Worship Team
Worship leader – Samantha Wagler, Steve Wagler
Song leader – Abby Scheerer
Children’s time – Rick Brenneman
Sermon – Pastor Steve Drudge
Congregational prayer – Pastor Pat Wagler
A supervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms. Supervisors: Chris Finnie, Darryl Drudge. A quieter, unsupervised nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Coffee, tea and juice served on the north side of the fellowship hall following the service.
11:00 a.m. – Children’s Christian education. Age 2 to gr. 8 (lower level). February Theme: Peace. Today: Peacemakers reflect God’s peace to the world.
11:15 a.m. – Youth meet in Prayer Room.
11:15 a.m. – Adults: Upside Down Living. Technology—south side of the fellowship hall. Speaker: Max Kennel
Monday (Church office closed)
8:00 a.m. – Prayer in room #115. All welcome.
Morning & Afternoon – All women are invited to the church to help knot comforters and/or quilt. Bring a sack lunch. Beverages provided.
6-7:30 p.m. – KidsLIFE for all children grades 1-6.
Friday – Saturday – MYF Lock-In at the church.
1-3 p.m. – Overview of Dementia meeting at the Wilmot Rec Complex (Active Living Centre) for people living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias, and care partners. Registration required. Call the Alzheimer Society at 519.742.1422.
8:15 a.m. – Mennonite Women of Wilmot Cluster Winter Breakfast at Wilmot Mennonite. Speaker: Gladys Bender. Topic: Choose Life, Why Not. Cost: $10. Donations for MCC projects for Gardening Kits for northern communities. Sign-up by the mailboxes.
9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – Dr. Don E. Saliers will speak at the Anabaptist Learning Workshop held at Waterloo North Mennonite Church. Explore songs, texts, and a combination of verbal and non-verbal ways to communicate our worship. Cost: $25. Register at uwaterloo.ca/anabaptist-learning-workshop/worship-2018.
9:30 a.m. – Pre service music
9:45 a.m. – Sermon: From Babel to Intercultural Choir
Scripture: Genesis 11.1-9, Revelation 7.9-12
Speaker: Brian Bauman, Mission Minister, Mennonite Church Eastern Canada.
Coin offering for House of Friendship Potato Blitz.
11:00 & 11:15 – Christian Education for all.
Adults: Mass class with Brian Bauman.
Potlucks @ noon:
February 11: Soup, Sandwiches & Sweets
February 18: Pie & Salad
Enjoy getting to know others over a delicious meal. Bring your own dishes and food to share. Sponsored by the Care Team.
2-6 p.m. – Seeking Clarity Workshop at Erb Street Mennonite Church. Led by Patricia Wagler. See bulletin board for more details. Cost: $25. RSVP to email@example.com.
6:30-7:30 p.m. – Chess Club for ages 8 and up. Doors open at 6:15. Sign-in required by parents of children.
Feb. 14 (Wed.) 7 p.m. – Small group meets at Don & Marilyn Steinmann’s. For more information speak to Janessa Otto.
Feb. 14 (Wed.) 8 p.m. – Small group meeting. For more information contact Ashley & Darryl Drudge.
Feb. 15 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Meeting by the church library. For more information speak to Wes Leis.
CHURCH LEAGUE HOCKEY
Feb. 9 (Fri.) 10 p.m. – Steinmann vs. Kitchener at the Rec Centre.
Feb. 13 (Tues.) 5-7 p.m. – St. George’s Anglican Church is inviting everyone to the Rec Centre for a pancake and sausage supper.
Feb. 14 (Wed.) 12 noon – Wednesday Service & Lenten Lunch. First lunch will be at Steinmann Church and the following five lunches will be at different churches in the area. See bulletin board for details.
Feb. 14 (Wed.) 7-9 p.m. – The Living Room, a peer support group to help those living with mental health experiences meeting at Mannheim Mennonite Church. Theme: “What type of love are we looking for on Valentine’s Day?” For info contact a pastor or see bulletin board.
Feb. 15 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Don E. Saliers from Candler School of Theology is the 2018 Rodney and Lorna Sawatsky Visiting Scholar. Don will give a free public lecture titled, “Psalms in a Difficult Time: the Rhythms of Doxology and Lament” at Grebel in the Great Hall.
Feb. 17 (Sat.) 5:30 p.m. – Single or Single Again will be going out to dinner at the Imperial Market Eatery in New Hamburg. If you can attend or just want more information, please call 519.662.2971.
Feb. 17 (Sat.) 6:00 p.m. – Marriage Encounter Valentine’s Banquet at Waterloo North Mennonite Church, 100 Benjamin Road, Waterloo. Tickets: $45/person. Contact Denise at 519.656.2005, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Feb. 19 (Fri.) 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m. – Free family day at Hidden Acres Camp RSVP: email@example.com or call 519.625.8602. Hot lunch for $3/person or bring your own. See bulletin board for details.
Feb. 23 (Fri.) – TGIF – This month we are turning the tables! We along with our children would like to serve you by making and sharing a meal with you. Refreshments will be served at 5 p.m. and dinner will be served at 5:30 p.m. Spaces are limited so if interested please sign up in the foyer. This is open to everyone. We look forward to serving you.
Feb. 24 (Sat.) 5:15 p.m. – Coldest Night of the Year, Walk for Homelessness in New Hamburg. Join in a 2, 5, & 10 km winter walk. Support Wilmot Family Resource to raise $20,000 for our community. Help by walking, sponsoring a walker, or volunteering. Call 519.662.2731.
Feb. 24 (Sat.) 6:45 p.m. – Church Bowling at Riverside Lanes in New Hamburg. All ages welcome. Cost: $9/game (includes shoes). Sign-up sheet is on the table between the mailboxes.
March 24 (Sat.) 5:30 p.m. – A Taste of Kenya fundraiser in support of PACE School in Nyahururu, Kenya. Serving a traditional Kenyan meal at Rockway Mennonite Collegiate. Tickets: $10/person or $25/family of four or more. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve tickets. See bulletin board for more details.
1. Are you considering baptism? Wondering if you might be ready to take that step? We are forming a Faith Exploration group soon; talk with any of the pastors or MYF sponsors to learn more.
2. For those previously baptized. Foundations series: explore questions of believing, belonging, living and maturing as disciples of Christ in an Anabaptist perspective. Bi-weekly dates will be chosen to suit the group. Please contact Pastor Steve.
3. On Feb. 7, Bill C-262 – the Indigenous Human Rights Act – will be voted on. Steve Heinrichs, Mennonite Church Canada, asks you to encourage your Member of Parliament to support this attempt at justice. Cc Minister of Justice Jody Wilson-Raybould.
4. Women’s Getaway – April 20-21. If interested please talk to Gladys Bender or Sandy Scheerer.
5. Church camping at Hidden Acres this year will be the August long weekend, August 3 – 5.
6. Learning and service (mostly learning) opportunity with Mennonite Central Committee Ontario Indigenous Neighbours Program, Timmins, ON, most likely the week of July 23. Mon. & Fri. travel days. Tues – Thurs.: participate in two meals with people on the margins, meet with community organizations, listen to local speakers, including a presentation and discussion on drinking water in remote communities, and visit a First Nations community. To be part of an intergenerational group from this congregation or for more details contact Pastor Steve.
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Pray for the 513 students enrolled to develop into Christian leaders to serve the growing number (now more than 310,000 baptized believers) in the Meserete Kristos Church in Ethiopia. Pray for financial support needed.