June 10, 2018
Call to worship
Let all creation dance SS 122
Let the whole creation cry HWB 51
The Lord is my light SJ 97
Beloved, God’s chosen SJ 38
Balaam, Part 1: King Barak asks for help
Balaam, Part 2: Help comes from an unexpected source
Children are dismissed
Balaam, Part 3: Blessings rather than curses
O Lord, have mercy SJ 47
Offering & *coin offering
The Lord lift you up SJ 73
*Coin offering for Hidden Acres Mom and Kids Camp.
A supervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms. Supervisors today are: Andrea Kennel, Abby Scheerer. A quieter unsupervised nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Leading Us In Worship:
Preservice, offertory, postlude – Grant Movold
Worship leader – Melody Steinman
Song leader – Tim Miller Dyck
Accompanists – Grant Movold, Susan Seyler
Children’s Time & Sermon – Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
Congregational prayer – Mark Scheerer
Coffee, tea & juice available in the fellowship hall following the service.
11:15 a.m. – Adult Christian Education
• Bible Study/Sermon discussion. Facilitators Darryl Drudge and members from the Baden small group. Meet in the fellowship hall.
• Identity and Aging: Vocation, Volunteering, and Legacy
“In old age they still produce fruit; they are always green and full of sap, showing that the Lord is upright!” Ps. 92:14, 15. Meet in the fireplace room. Facilitators: Rick and Ardys Brenneman
11:15 – Orientation for July 5-8 TOOLS* participants and other interested persons with TOOLS director, Pete Olsen. Youth room upstairs. *Toronto Ontario Opportunities for Learning and Service, a Mennonite Central Committee Ontario program.
2-4 p.m. – You are invited to attend an Open House for Betty & Wallace Roth to celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary. In lieu of gifts, monetary donations to the Food Bank appreciated.
Monday – church office closed.
Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp Chicken Barbecue & Pie Auction fundraiser. Last call for tickets—Shirley Dunford and Carol Roth will be selling tickets after worship. $15/regular and $12/small.
8 a.m. – Prayer in room 114. All are welcome.
7:30 p.m. – “Nukes and the Nobel: A Conversation with 2017 Nobel Peace Prize Recipient, Setsuko Thurlow” in the Conrad Grebel University College Great Hall. Reception: 6:45 p.m. in the Atrium. Admission is free. Registration requested. www.uwaterloo.ca/centre-peace-advancement/nukes-and-nobel
4-7 p.m. – Wilmot Summer Market in the east church parking lot.
8:30 a.m.-noon – Church outdoor and indoor clean-up. Bring rakes, hoes, buckets and rags. Many hands make light work!
2:00 p.m. – Mennonite Historical Society of Ontario Annual Meeting in the Great Hall at Conrad Grebel. Following the meeting, Dr. Aileen Friesen will speak on the topic “Searching for an identity: Mennonites in Revolutionary Russia.” Info at: http://www.mhso.org/content/mennonites-revolutionary-russia or call Bethany Leis at 519.568.8086.
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Scripture: 1 Samuel 16:1-13, 2 Corinthians 5:15-21
Sermon: Heart Matters.
Speaker: Pastor Steve Drudge
Baptism service: Angela Gerber, Madelyn Hammer, Ben MacLaurin
June 14 (Thurs.) 5:30 p.m. – Women’s small group meets at Darlene & Glen Gingerich’s for a potluck.
June 20 (Wed.) 8 p.m. – Small group meeting. For more information contact Ashley & Darryl Drudge.
STEINMANN SOXX (Church Fastball League)
June 18 (Mon.) 9 p.m. – Soxx vs. Mapleview (New Hamburg D. 2)
June 19 (Tues.) 7:00 p.m. – How Hunger Shapes a Community. House of Friendship’s 79th Annual Meeting at the Tannery Event Centre, 151 Charles Street W., Kitchener. Strawberry social begins at 8:00 p.m. RSVP by Friday, June 15 by either calling 519.742.8327 x 131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
June 23 (Sat.) 2-4 & 6:30-8 p.m. – Nithview Community Strawberry Social. Bring your family and friends to enjoy strawberries, cake and ice cream!
June 23 (Sat.) – MennoHomes’ Out-Spok’n VIII bike-a-thon at Elmira Mennonite Church. All proceeds towards new affordable housing in Waterloo Region. Details: www.mennohomes.com or contact Dan Driedger at 226.476.2535.
June 23 (Sat.) 3:00 p.m. – TGIF BBQ at Rick and Ardys’ home with the Maarrawi family. This is our final TGIF event before the summer break. TGIF will resume on Friday, Oct. 26.
June 24 (Sun.) 2:30 p.m. – The Fair Wind (traditional music from England, Ireland & Scotland) at the Detweiler Meetinghouse, 3445 Roseville Rd., Roseville. See poster on bulletin board.
June 24 (Sun.) 5:00 p.m. – Pork and Sauerkraut Dinner for all seniors 70 and over. June is Seniors Month so it’s time to celebrate the seniors who are a part of our congregation. Please sign the sheet in the hallway by the mailboxes if you plan to attend.
June 25 (Mon.) 5-8 p.m. – Blood Donor Clinic in the fellowship hall.
June 26 (Tues.) 1:30-3:00 p.m. – The Kitchen Table. Tea, coffee and conversation for seniors at Wilmot Mennonite Church. Topic: Fun in the Shade. Bring a lawn chair. No charge, donations accepted.
June 29th – July 1st – Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp’s Family Camping Weekend. For more information: www.hiddenacres.ca, email email@example.com, call 519.625.8602. Brochures are on the table.
July 27-20 – Skylight Festival at Five Oaks, Paris, Ontario. A weekend of faith, justice and a celebration of the arts. Special guest: Mike McHargue of The Liturgists Podcast and Finding God in the Waves. For itinerary and to register: skylightfestival.ca. See bulletin board.
July 30-Aug. 3 – Conrad Grebel University College Peace Camp (day camp) for students in grades 6-8. “What’s your peace super power?” Register: www.grebel.ca/peacecamp. For more information contact Katie Gingerich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aug. 3-5 (Fri.-Sun.) – Church camping at Hidden Acres.
Aug. 13-15 (Mon.-Fri.) – Baden Summer Bible Camp
1. Summer Worship: Our worship service will begin at 10 a.m. during July and August.
2. Wanted: Delegates to attend the Tri-County Mennonite Homes Annual Meeting on Tuesday, September 18. Please contact Keith Wagler today.
3. Kindred Credit Union Church Builder GICs available until June 29. An investment for you and bonus interest for the church. Kindred donates an additional 0.25% interest. See bulletin board for details.
4. Ontario Mennonite Music Camp (Aug. 12-24) at Conrad Grebel College for ages 12-16. Offering strings, winds/brass, piano, voice and guitar masterclasses taught by University-trained instructors, along with the all-camp choir and staged musical. For more information, to register, and to see last year’s lip-dub video, visit: https://uwaterloo.ca/grebel/campers/ontario-mennonite-music-camp, or Facebook.
• Congratulations to Eileen & Keith Erb who will be celebrating their 53rd Wedding Anniversary on Monday, June 11th.
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Scott Wagler, who had surgery on Friday, June 8th.
• Angela Gerber, Madelyn Hammer and Ben MacLaurin, as they prepared to be baptized next Sunday, June 17.
• Students and teachers who are part of Canadian Mennonite University’s Canadian School of Peacebuilding from June 11-15 and 18-22. Over 100 students from Canada and around the globe (including Somalia, Iran, Nigeria, Ethiopia, Nepal…) will be enrolled in one-week peace building courses. In our world’s present political climate their commitment to peace-building is more critical than ever.