June 3, 2018
Call to worship and prayer
God is here among us HWB 16
Summer memory passage
Blessed assurance HWB 332
Scripture reading: 2 Kings 6.1-7
Children invited to go to Sunday school
Will you come and follow me SS 39
Sharing and prayer
Praise God from whom HWB 118
A supervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms. Supervisors today are: Shirley Dunford, Paulette West. A quieter unsupervised nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Leading Us In Worship:
Worship leader – Melody Steinman
Song leader – Sara Roth
Pianist – Doris Martin
Children’s time – David Martin
Sermon & congregational prayer – Pastor Pat Wagler
Coffee, tea & juice available in the fellowship hall following the service.
11:15 a.m. – Congregational meeting to respond to motions regarding restructured congregational model and vision statement, “Love God, Live Differently” as well as an updated Slate of Volunteers.
7:00 p.m. – Jubilation Male Chorus Spring Benefit Concert at Waterloo-Kitchener United Mennonite Church, 15 George Street. Freewill offering in support of Hospice of Waterloo Region.
7:30 p.m. – Discovery: A Comic Lament, is a play by Ted & Co about the Doctrine of Discovery, the legal framework that justified seizure of land and oppression of Indigenous Peoples. Last performance in the Fellowship Hall. Limited tickets are available at the door.
7:30 p.m. – Taizé ecumenical worship at St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, 810 King St. East, Cambridge, (Preston).
Monday – church office closed.
Tuesday 6:30 p.m. – Final Ralph & Eileen Lebold fundraising dinner at Conrad Grebel University College. Henry Paetkau will reflect on 40 years of church ministry and how that is echoed and reflected in our current experience of church. Free will offering received. RSVP to www.mcec.ca or speak to David Martin.
8 a.m. – Prayer in room 114. All are welcome.
Morning & Afternoon – All women are invited to the church to help knot comforters/and or quilt. Potluck lunch.
6:30 p.m. – Mennonite Coalition for Refugee Support and Centre for International Governance Innovation fundraiser with speakers, desserts, silent auction at 67 Erb St. West, Waterloo. Tickets: www.mcrs.ca and link on “Speak and Savor.”
4-7 p.m. – Wilmot Summer Market in the east church parking lot.
6:30-9 p.m. – Interfaith Ladies Night Out. Hear from local women: Karen Weber, Nancy Silcox, Marie Voisin. Door prizes, refreshments and more. Tickets: $20 from Sandra Roth, Sharon Leis.
Friday – Sunday – Conrad Grebel University College is hosting four performances of 7th Cousins, a story of two women who walk 700 km through what’s now the Bible Belt of Pennsylvania, tracing the migration of their Mennonite ancestors to Brubacher House, Waterloo. $20 tickets and show details: www.greenlight-arts.com/7th-cousins/
Noon – Fellowship hall rented.
9:30 a.m. – Preservice music
9:45 a.m. – Sermon: Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
11:15 a.m. – Adult Christian Education
• Bible Study/Sermon discussion. Facilitators Darryl Drudge and members from the Baden small group. Meets in fellowship hall.
• Identity and Aging: Vocation, Volunteering, and Legacy
“In old age they still produce fruit; they are always green and full of sap, showing that the Lord is upright!” Ps. 92:14, 15. Meet in the fireplace room. Facilitators: Rick and Ardys Brenneman
11:15 – Orientation for July 5-8 TOOLS* participants and other interested persons with TOOLS director, Pete Olsen. Youth room upstairs. *Toronto Ontario Opportunities for Learning and Service, a Mennonite Central Committee Ontario program.
2-4 p.m. – You are invited to attend an Open House for Betty & Wallace Roth to celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary. In lieu of gifts, monetary donations to the Food Bank appreciated.
June 6 (Wed.) 6:30 p.m. – Women’s small group meets at the church. For more information speak to Joy Wagler or Darlene Gingerich.
June 6 (Wed.) 7:30 p.m. – Meeting at Janessa Otto’s. For more information speak to Janessa.
June 6 (Wed.) 8 p.m. – Small group meeting. For more information contact Ashley & Darryl Drudge.
June 7 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Meeting at Gord & Carol Roth’s. For more information speak to Wes Leis.
STEINMANN SOXX (Church Fastball League)
June 6 (Wed.) 9 p.m. – Soxx vs. East Zorra (Tavistock Optimist)
June 12 (Tues.) – Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp Chicken Barbecue & Pie Auction fundraiser. Tickets available today from Saundy Bast and Carol Roth. $15/regular and $12/small.
June 13 (Wed.) 7:30 p.m. – “Nukes and the Nobel: A Conversation with 2017 Nobel Peace Prize Recipient, Setsuko Thurlow” in the Conrad Grebel University College Great Hall. Reception: 6:45 p.m. in the Atrium. Admission is free. Registration requested. www.uwaterloo.ca/centre-peace-advancement/nukes-and-nobel
June 16 (Sat.) 8:30 a.m.-noon – Church outdoor and indoor clean-up. Bring rakes, hoes, buckets and rags. Many hands make light work!
June 16 (Sat.) 2:00 p.m. – Mennonite Historical Society of Ontario Annual Meeting in the Great Hall at Conrad Grebel University College. Following the meeting, Dr. Aileen Friesen will speak on the topic “Searching for an identity: Mennonites in Revolutionary Russia.” Information at: http://www.mhso.org/content/mennonites-revolutionary-russia or contact Bethany Leis at 519.568.8086.
June 23 (Sat.) 2-4 & 6:30-8 p.m. – Nithview Community Strawberry Social. Bring your family and friends to enjoy strawberries, cake and ice cream!
June 23 (Sat.) – MennoHomes’ Out-Spok’n VIII bike-a-thon at Elmira Mennonite Church. All proceeds towards new affordable housing in Waterloo Region. Details: www.mennohomes.com or contact Dan Driedger at 226.476.2535.
June 24 (Sun.) 2:30 p.m. – The Fair Wind (traditional music from England, Ireland & Scotland) at the Detweiler Meetinghouse, 3445 Roseville Rd., Roseville. See poster on bulletin board.
June 29th – July 1st – Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp’s Family Camping Weekend. For more information: www.hiddenacres.ca, email email@example.com, call 519.625.8602. Brochures are on the table.
July 5-8 – TOOLS learning and service in Toronto. Encounter people living on the margins and those who serve and walk with them. For details contact Pastor Steve or a youth sponsor.
July 30-Aug. 3 – Conrad Grebel University College Peace Camp (day camp) for students in grades 6-8. “What’s your peace super power?” Register: www.grebel.ca/peacecamp. For more information contact Katie Gingerich at firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Vision Focus Team is pleased to announce that Sara Erb will serve as Pastor of Faith Formation, beginning in August.
2. Wanted: Delegates to attend the Tri-County Mennonite Homes Annual Meeting on Tuesday, September 18. Please contact Keith Wagler by June 10th.
3. Kindred Credit Union Church Builder GICs available until June 29. An investment for you and bonus interest for the church. Kindred donates an additional 0.25% interest. See bulletin board for details.
4. Ontario Mennonite Music Camp (Aug. 12-24) at Conrad Grebel College for ages 12-16. Offering strings, winds/brass, piano, voice and guitar masterclasses taught by University-trained instructors, along with the all-camp choir and staged musical. For more information, to register, and to see last year’s lip-dub video, visit: https://uwaterloo.ca/grebel/campers/ontario-mennonite-music-camp, or Facebook.
• Congratulations to:
– Betty & Wallace Roth whose 65th Wedding Anniversary is on Wednesday, June 6th
– Rose & Don Wagler who will be celebrating their 54th Wedding Anniversary on June 6th
– Louise & Ralph Gingerich who will celebrate their 62nd Wedding Anniversary on Saturday, June 9th
• Darlene Gingerich, office admin, will be attending the MCEC Admin Day on Wednesday, June 6th at 50 Kent, Kitchener.
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Norma and John Iutzi, Sara and Ryan Roth and sons, as they grieve the death of Norma’s nephew, Sara’s cousin, Perry Shantz.
• Scott Wagler who is having surgery on Friday, June 8th.