March 4, 2018
Lent 3: Me & You and Working It Through
Call to worship
Praise the One who breaks the darkness SS 1
God, fill me now SS 63
Psalm 19.1-4, 14
Between me and you
Review of 2017
Review of financial records from 2017
2018 Spending plan
Goals, plans, vision for 2018
Announcements and prayer concerns
We will follow SS 40
Leading Us In Worship:
Worship leader – Jim Steckle
Song leader – Norma Iutzi
Pianist – Doris Martin;
Lenten theme song – Abby Scheerer
Offertory – KidsLIFE participants
Meditation – Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
Vision Focus Team Chair – Brandon Gingerich
Finance Committee Chair – Tim Miller Dyck
A supervised nursery for children 5 and under is across from the washrooms. Supervisors: Andrea Kennel, Paulette West. A quieter, unsupervised nursery is available in Room 113 (office hallway).
Lunch provided by MYF as fundraiser @ 11:30.
Monday (church office closed)
7:00 p.m. – Live Stream Event: Canadian Mennonite University is hosting Senator Murray Sinclair who will share stories and insights of Canadian communities, churches, and educational institutions responding to the TRC 94 Calls to Action. Go to cmu.ca/lectures.
12 noon – Stories of Partnership: A Lunch & Listen Event at 50 Kent Ave., Kitchener. Bring your own lunch and hear from Rebecca Sherbino and Colleen Graham from The Raw Carrot who will share about the partnership between MCCO, Stirling Church and The Raw Carrot.
7-9 p.m. – Gym rented
12 noon – Service & Lenten Lunch at Zion United Church, 215 Peel St., New Hamburg. See bulletin board for details.
*KidsLIFE will be joining the congregation for Gym Night on Friday.
7-9 p.m. – Gym rented
6-9 p.m. – Gym Night. Everyone welcome. KidsLIFE will be joining this event. Bring snacks to share. Sponsored by Fellowship Events.
7:30 p.m. – An evening of piano and violin music with Austrian musicians Elena Denisova and Alexei Kornienko in the Chapel at Conrad Grebel University College. Free Admission.
10 a.m.-5 p.m. – University-wide Open House. Explore Grebel. See bulletin board for details.
6:30-9:30 p.m. – Gym rented
Daylight Savings time begins. Move clocks ahead one hour.
9:30 a.m. – Pre service music
9:45 a.m. – Lent 4. Speaker: Sarah Freeman.
Sermon: Things that go Bump in the night.
Scripture: Numbers 21:4-9, Psalm 107:1-3, 17-22, Ephesians 2:1-10, John 3:14-21.
11:15 a.m. – Adults: Dan Vandermolen will share about a Learning Tour he took to Haiti with Mennonite Central Committee. Meeting in the sanctuary. The children are in the gym. Coffee is available on the north side of the fellowship hall. Bring your travel mug.
March 14 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Small group meeting. For more information speak to Janessa Otto.
March 14 (Wed.) 6:30 p.m. – Women’s small group meets at the church. Studying “The Broken Way” dvd by Ann Voskamp. New members welcome. For more information talk to Joy Wagler or Darlene Gingerich.
March 14 (Wed.) 8 p.m. – Small group meeting. For more information contact Ashley & Darryl Drudge.
March 15 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Meeting by the church library. Studying 1, 2 & 3 John. For more information speak to Wes Leis.
March 12 (Mon.) – Grandparent/Grandchild Day at Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp for grades 1-6. Brochures are on the table in the hall. www.hiddenacres.ca, email firstname.lastname@example.org, 519.625.8602.
March 14 (Wed.) Noon – Lenten service & lunch at Wilmot Mennonite Church, 2995 Bleams Rd., New Hamburg. Details on bulletin board.
March 17 (Sat.) 8.-10 a.m. – Mennonite Central Committee Meat Canning Fundraiser Breakfast at Calvary United Church, 48 Hawkesville Rd., St. Jacobs. Reserve tickets by calling 519.745.8458. Freewill donation.
March 18 (Sun.) 11:15 a.m. – Adult Christian education class: Sharing Faith Stories as a community. Doris Martin will be updating us on initiatives by the House of Friendship.
March 23-25 – Mennonite & Brethren Marriage Encounter Weekend at Monastery of Mount Carmel Spiritual Centre in Niagara Falls. Visit www.marriageencounterec.com.
March 24 (Sat.) 1:00 p.m. – First Hmong Mennonite Church Spring Roll Fundraiser. Cost: 1 doz./$14.; 1/2 doz./$7 (veggie or meat). Order by emailing email@example.com or call 519.578.7566. Pick up is 1 p.m. at 93 Doon Rd., Kitchener. Orders are due: March 18. Late orders will not be processed.
March 24 (Sat.) 5:30 p.m. – A Taste of Kenya fundraiser in support of PACE School in Nyahururu, Kenya. Serving a traditional Kenyan meal at Rockway Mennonite Collegiate. Tickets: $10/person or $25/family of four or more. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve tickets. See bulletin board for more details.
March 25 (Sun.) 3:00 p.m. – Menno Singers concert Come Light and Life Eternal at the Church of St John the Evangelist, 23 Water St. N., Kitchener. Tickets are $20 adults, $5 children/students, available from choristers, at the door and online at www.mennosingers.com.
April 7 (Sat.) & April 8 (Sun.) – Handel’s Messiah performed by the Martin Family Singers with members of the Kitchener Waterloo Chamber Orchestra. Tickets: $20. Available at nhmrs.com or 519.745.8458. All proceeds benefit the New Hamburg Relief Sale.
Sat. April 7, 7 p.m. – Waterloo North Mennonite Church, 100 Benjamin Rd., Waterloo.
Sun. April 8, 7 p.m. – St. Matthews Evangelical Lutheran Church, 356 9th St., Hanover. More information at mcco.ca/events.
April 20-21 – Women’s Getaway sign-up sheet is on the table by the mailboxes. Questions—talk to Gladys Bender or Sandy Scheerer.
1. To support the Hidden Acres Mennonite Camp Bowl-a-thon fundraiser please contact Anthony Helmuth.
2. To view the Job Description for our new pastor go to: mcec.ca/jobs/faith-forming-pastor. If you have questions or comments please contact Brandon Gingerich, VFT Chair.
3. July 23-27—Learning and service (mostly learning) opportunity with Mennonite Central Committee Ontario Indigenous Neighbours Program, Timmins, ON. To be part of an intergenerational group, including families with children, contact Pastor Steve. After February this invitation may be extended to other local congregations.
4. Volunteer with the Mennonite Central Committee Elmira Meat Canning (April 23-27) by calling Keith or Diane Snyder at 519. 669.40844. See bulletin board for details. Pre-order beef and pork products; funds raised will support the canner. Order forms on table in the hall.
5. The New Hamburg Mennonite Relief Sale (May 25-26/18) is looking for new volunteers to continue its viability. See many opportunities listed on the bulletin board, at www.nhmrs.com or call 519.745.8458.
6. Church camping at Hidden Acres this year will be the August long weekend, August 3 – 5.
7. Hidden Acres Camp is in the process of building new summer cabins using a combination of volunteers and a contractor. The cabin exterior will be cedar boards. They are looking for volunteers to apply a non-toxic water based wood preservative to the boards before they are installed. The boards are currently in an indoor farm space on Puddicome Rd. near Plattsville. This task can be done by just about anyone: individuals, families, seniors, couples, small groups or youth. Contact the camp and ask for Campbell or Brent.
February Offering Numbers
Congregational Spending Plan $ 29,871
Facilities Reserve Fund $ 660
House of Friendship-Potato Blitz $ 212.30
Thank you for giving!
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Our sister Regional Churches: Mennonite Church Manitoba, who met this weekend, focusing on “Mission: Living into Our Call,” and Mennonite Church Saskatchewan, as they meet next weekend, focusing on “God is Doing a New Thing.”