September 10, 2017
Call to worship
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty HWB 37
Praise the Lord, sing hallelujah HWB 50
As rain from the clouds SJ 40
Texts We Cannot Live Without
We believe, as one by one SS 119
2 Timothy 3.16-17
Experiencing God: Two Views (Psalm 13 and Psalm 23)
Offering and *coin offering
Now go in peace SJ 74
*Coin offering will assist Circles of Support and Accountability, a Mennonite Central Committee program that reduces sexual re-offending by 70%, saving $6 for every $1 invested and the most effective way to help build safer communities and reduce the number of new victims.
Leading Us In Worship:
Prelude, offertory – Doris Martin, Michael Gingerich
Worship leader – Sarah Godfrey
Accompanists – Doris Martin, Susan Seyler
Song leader – Tim Miller Dyck
Sermon & children’s time – Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
Congregational prayer – Pastor Ilene Bergen
Check out the tables by the library for any items you or a family member may have misplaced.
A supervised nursery for children (5 years & under) is across from the washrooms. Today’s supervisors: Pam Carter, Sarah Winter.
11:00 a.m. – Coffee, tea and juice served in the fellowship hall.
10:15 a.m. – Children’s Christian education. Age 2 to grade 8
Youth, Adults: join discussion during the service.
2:00-4:00 p.m. – Reception for the Maarrawi and the Al Lababidi families in the church fellowship hall. Our friends from Stonecroft and Foxboro will be joining us in extending our support to these families as they celebrate their new home in Canada. This is your opportunity to share your best wishes and encouragement. Refreshments will be provided.
7-8 p.m. – Free Family Skate at the Rec Centre for World Suicide Prevention Day. 8:15 p.m.—Walk of Light, Schmidt Woods Trail.
Monday – Church office closed.
7:00 p.m. – Kids’ Club planning meeting.
7:30 p.m. – Finance Committee meets in room 111.
7:00 a.m. – Men’s breakfast at Omega Restaurant, 685 Fischer Hallman Rd., Kitchener. Join us for fellowship and a prayer on a fall morning before work or retirement activities.
8:00 a.m.-8:15 a.m. – Prayer time in room 115. All welcome.
7:00 p.m. – Sing The Journey rehearsal in the sanctuary.
4:00-7:00 p.m. – Wilmot Summer Market in the east church parking lot.
10,000 Steps for Shalom, a fundraising walk/run for mental health. Help make counselling affordable and accessible for everyone. Sign up as an individual or a team at 519.886.9690 or shalomcounselling.org.
11:00 a.m. – Open Doors talk, “Life in the Detweiler Neighbourhood,” 3445 Roseville Rd., Roseville. See bulletin board.
9:30 a.m. – Pre service music
9:45 a.m. – Sermon: Encountering God.
Speaker: Pat Wagler.
Scriptures: Psalm 121, Genesis 12:1-2, John 3:1-12
10:15 a.m. – Children’s Christian education.
11:30 a.m. – Church Potluck. If your last name begins with A-M bring a dessert and N-Z bring a salad along with your own dishes. Meat will be provided.
2:30 p.m. – Jim Reimer Memorial Bluegrass Concert at Conrad Grebel University College, Great Hall. Features Rescue Junction and 5 on the Floor. Admission is free with donations to the Reimer Scholarship in Theological Studies. www.grebel.ca/events
2:30 p.m. – Learn newer music from the Hymnal Supplements and music being considered for the new Mennonite hymnal at the Detweiler Meeting House, 3445 Roseville Rd., Roseville. Freewill offering. More information: Laurence Martin, 519.208.4591.
CHURCH LEAGUE B FASTBALL PLAYOFFS
Sept. 11 (Mon.) 9 p.m. – Steinmann vs. Tavistock @ Queens Diamond
Sept. 12 (Tues.) 6:00 p.m. – Introductory supper & meeting for a Women’s Small Group. Meet in the fellowship hall. Soup provided. Bring finger food. For info talk to Joy Wagler or Darlene Gingerich.
Sept. 21 (Thurs.) 7:30 p.m. – Meeting by the church library. Studying 1 & 2 Timothy. For more information call Wes Leis.
Sept. 17-23 – Peace Week. Visit uwaterloo.ca/peace-week for a listing of local events.
Sept. 20 (Wed.) 7:00 p.m. – Rockway Mennonite Collegiate’s Board of Directors invites you to attend an Information Meeting regarding Member representation on the Board. More information: https://rockway.ca/about/board-of-directors/.
Sept. 21 (Thurs.) 4 p.m. – Reception in the Grebel Gallery for “Painting a Picture of Dignity.” Paintings created by people with Alzheimer’s and dementia. Exhibition dates: September—December 15, 2017.
Sept. 22-24 (Fri.-Sun.) – Men’s Retreat at Silver Lake Mennonite Camp with chef and wine sommelier, Dave Lobe and resource person, Chip Bender. Cost is $195. Register: www.slmc.ca/retreats, 519.422.3200.
Sept. 22 (Fri.) 7:00 p.m. – “Solitary Refinement” A Voice of the Martyrs dramatic presentation based on the life of Richard Wurmbrand and contemporary persecuted Christians. Meeting at Maple View Church.
Sept. 26 (Tues.) 7:00 p.m. – Tri-County Mennonite Homes Annual General meeting at Poole Mennonite Church.
Oct. 18 (Wed.) 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. – Heritage Tour of the Amish Mennonites led by Fred Lichti. Leaving from W-K United Mennonite. Cost: $60/person includes bus and noon meal. Contact Wally or Gloria Dirks at 519.744.1984 by September 18.
Oct. 21 (Sat.) – House of Friendship Fundraising Dinner at Rockway Mennonite Collegiate with musician, Séan McCann. Tickets: $75/person. hoffriendshipdinner2017.eventbrite.ca or call Shelley 519.742.8327 x 131.
1. We are exploring a shift in our mid-week children’s program from LOGOS, and are determining what it will look like. If you are willing to help with a children’s program in any capacity, please talk with Pastor Myrna.
2. Drivers needed to take the Al Lababidi family to English classes in Kitchener. Contact Marilyn Steinmann to volunteer or for more information.
3. Women’s Getaway at Riverstone Retreat Centre in Durham has been postponed to November 10-11. Please speak to Sandy Scheerer or Gladys Bender if you are interested.
4. Shalom Counselling is offering a group for high school aged youth: “Calm in the Storm: Stress Management for Students.” Tuesdays, 6pm – 7:30pm (Oct. 17 to Dec. 5). No cost. For information or to register: email@example.com or 519.886.9690.
5. “Reading the Bible with Jesus”, four-session study on the Gospel of Matthew with Bryan Moyer Suderman. Tuesdays starting at 7 p.m.: Sept. 26 (Elmira Mennonite), Oct. 3 (Elmira Mennonite), Oct. 10 & 17 (St Jacobs Mennonite). See fliers by the church mailboxes.
QUESTIONS FOR REFLECTION
1. What are some of your favorite scriptures that you “can’t live without?”
2. What for you is the most frustrating or difficult aspect of studying the Bible?
3. In what ways do you think God has shaped you through the words of Scripture?
• Congratulations to Irene Bender who will be celebrating her 94th birthday tomorrow, September 11.
• Welcome back to Pastor Steve who returns from sabbatical this Tuesday.
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Those affected by Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.