September 3, 2017
A Summer of Living More Like Jesus
Call to worship
We plow the fields and scatter HWB 96
God of many names HWB 77
When I’m lonely and defenseless SJ 93
Romans 12.1-2, 9-21 HWB 850
Sermon: Turn and Face the World
Beauty for brokenness SS 115
The peace of the earth be with you SJ 77
Leading Us In Worship:
Prelude, postlude – Grant Movold
Worship leader & children’s time – Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck
Song leader – Brian Sararus
Accompanists – Jean Gingerich, Carol Sararus
Sermon – Max Kennel
Congregational prayer – Pastor Ilene Bergen
Offertory – Erin Movold
An unsupervised nursery for children (5 years & under) is across from the washrooms.
Coffee, tea and juice served in the fellowship hall after the service.
Monday & Tuesday – Church office closed.
8:00 a.m.-8:15 a.m. – Prayer time in room 115. All welcome.
Morning & Afternoon – All women are invited to the church to help knot comforters and/or quilt. Bring a sack lunch. Drinks provided.
4:00-7:00 p.m. – Wilmot Summer Market in the east church parking lot.
7:30 p.m. – Children’s teachers meeting.
9:30 a.m. – Pre service music
9:45 a.m. – The Treasure of the text. What are scriptures you “can’t live without”?
Speaker: Pastor Myrna Miller Dyck.
10:15 a.m. – Children’s Christian education.
2:00-4:00 p.m. – Reception for the Maarrawi and the Al Lababidi families in the church fellowship hall. Our friends from Stonecroft and Foxboro will be joining us in extending our support to these families as they celebrate their new home in Canada. This is your opportunity to share your best wishes and encouragement. Refreshments will be provided.
7-8 p.m. – Free Family Skate at the Rec Centre for World Suicide Prevention Day. 8:15 p.m.—Walk of Light, Schmidt Woods Trail. See bulletin board.
MYF (High School)
Sept. 8 (Fri.) 7:00 p.m. – Family Dinner and games at church.
Sept. 12 (Tues.) 6:00 p.m. – Introductory supper & meeting for a Women’s Small Group. Meet in the fellowship hall. Soup provided. Bring finger food. For info talk to Joy Wagler or Darlene Gingerich.
CHURCH LEAGUE B FASTBALL PLAYOFFS
Sept. 6 (Wed.) 9 p.m. – Steinmann vs. Riverdale at Petersburg.
Sept. 11 (Mon.) 9 p.m. – Steinmann vs. Tavistock at Tavistock.
Sept. 16 (Sat.) – 10,000 Steps for Shalom, a fundraising walk/run for mental health. Help make counselling affordable and accessible for everyone. Sign up as an individual or a team at 519.886.9690 or shalomcounselling.org.
Sept. 16 (Sat.) 11:00 a.m. – Open Doors talk, “Life in the Detweiler Neighbourhood,” 3445 Roseville Rd., Roseville. See bulletin board.
Sept. 17-23 – Peace Week. Visit uwaterloo.ca/peace-week for a listing of local events.
Sept. 17 (Sun.) 11:30 a.m. – Church Potluck. If your last name begins with A-M bring a dessert and N-Z bring a salad along with your own dishes. Meat will be provided.
Sept. 17 (Sun.) 2:30 p.m. – Jim Reimer Memorial Bluegrass Concert at Conrad Grebel University College, Great Hall. Features award-winning Canadian bluegrass band, Rescue Junction, with a special appearance from 5 on the Floor. Admission is free with donations to the Reimer Scholarship in Theological Studies. www.grebel.ca/events
Sept. 17 (Sun.) 2:30 p.m. – Learn newer music from the Hymnal Supplements and newer music being considered for the new Mennonite hymnal at the Detweiler Meeting House, 3445 Roseville Rd., Roseville. Freewill offering. More information: Laurence Martin, 519.208.4591.
Oct. 21 (Sat.) – House of Friendship Fundraising Dinner at Rockway Mennonite Collegiate with musician, Séan McCann. See bulletin board. Tickets: $75/person. Contact hoffriendshipdinner2017.eventbrite.ca or call Shelley at 519.742.8327 x 131.
1. We are exploring a shift in our mid-week children’s program from LOGOS, and are determining what it will look like. If you are willing to help with a children’s program in any capacity, please talk with Pastor Myrna.
2. Women’s Getaway at Riverstone Retreat Centre in Hanover on October 13-14/17. If interested contact Sandy Scheerer or Gladys Bender.
3. Mennonite Disaster Service volunteers needed for Constance Bay (Ottawa). Project will start September 11 into October. Call or email Nick Hamm at 905.401.3990 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MDS is accepting financial donations for Hurricane Harvey recovery efforts, which can be given online or by cheque. Payable to: MDS Region 5 Office, 6A-1325 Markham Rd, Winnipeg, MB R3T 4J6. Designate “Hurricane Harvey” on the memo line.
4. The Al Lababidi family (recent refugee family) would like to have some area carpets in their bedrooms and hall. They are anticipating some cold weather. If anyone has some lightly used rugs contact Marilyn Steinmann, Lynelle Drudge, Karl Bergen or Gladys Bender.
• Congratulations to Ruth & David Steinmann who will be celebrating their 63rd Wedding Anniversary tomorrow, September 4.
• Congratulations to Nelson Zehr who will be celebrating his 85th birthday on Thursday, September 7.
• Congratulations to Kevin Gingerich who has completed his PhD in Civil Engineering (Transportation) and recently joined York University as an Assistant Professor.
REMEMBER IN PRAYER
• Students and teachers as they return to school this week.